Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) TV Question (Read 37415 times)
Ali

Re: TV Question
Reply #15 - 09/27/03 at 11:18:24
Print Post  
Received the accounts for last year yesterday and I was shocked to see that £2700 had been spent on the TV in the building.  Is that how much we pay community vision to provide us with terrestrial tv a year?  This is quite a shocking amount considering that is just for your basic channels and one aerial that belongs to us anyway. 

Maybe we should look at rewiring the flats.  I have 2 aerial sockets.  Neither of which provide all 5 channels clearly, and thats with a booster being used as well. Maybe that would reduce down our dependance on such a company and in future we just have a charge per callout contract.  I haven't toally thought this thru and its only an idea.

But it does seem to me they are onto a winner.  They look after our aerial, and get hundreds for us to connect to sky and even then they didn't have any solution for reaching my mail tc except for having 20 metres of wiring run through the flat loose ???.  And then £100 a year in advance for maintenance, whatever thats about.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 09/29/03 at 17:38:21
Print Post  
From the number of replies it is blatantly obvious that this is a serious problem in Baltic Quay. The rates charged by Community vision for Sky are scandalous and the terrestrial arial (also supplied by them) is worthless, although it costs 1000’s of pounds a year to “maintain” it.  Angry

Yet threats are made to anyone who does not want to pour their hard earned cash down the Baltic drain (that is as long as it is not blocked by cardboard) and who have paid a nominal sum to put a Sky dish themselves are going to have them removed. Why not just terminate Community visions strangle hold and get a half decent lawyer in to get the lease sorted so that anyone can have a dish if they want, and then whoever wants it can have the glories of 100+ channels of mindless repeats, half decent movies and fantastic football at a sensible price! I personally do not see Sky dishes as an eyesore, more as an everyday feature of the modern urban environment we all live in.

Is it not obvious that if everyone who wanted Sky got it themselves we would all end up better off and the money saved on not paying community vision could be better spent on a very long stick to unblock the rubbish chute!! Hence everyone would be happy watching TV and have time to run to the rubbish chute in the ad breaks rather than miss their favorite show by having to go all the way to the bins in B1. Result!!!!   Grin

IP Logged

Nic

Reply #17 - 09/29/03 at 17:52:45
Print Post  
Agreed. I've already paid Community Vision an installation fee and a years line rental. Thats £175 - for doing what? Laying a 5 meter cable from the wall to the TV.
Now they want to charge me another £175 to come over and lay another cable so I can have Sky+.
I'm sorry, but am I the only one thinking  £350 is a bit much for laying two cables. After all, CV does not provide us with a service. They lay cables and thats it.

I say we either get a cheaper company to lay the cables or each flat puts up their own dish.

IP Logged

Erik Carlson
YaBB Administrator

Reply #18 - 09/29/03 at 18:41:56
Print Post  
I too have paid CV a lot of money, however that said the service does work for me. The extra 2 feeds they installed took a lot of extra wiring around the building and I've had them come out to resolve faults quite a few times, whilst the faults shouldn't occur, when they do I have someone out the same day or next arriving promptly, even at the weekends, and they have always sorted the problem out. It was pointed out by one lady at a previous meeting in the lobby that you can have CV come out and sort your terrestrial reception at no cost, she was very happy with the work that they had done and was happily receiving her TV, if I remember correctly.

If we were to terminate the contract i fear what would happen to the money already paid, what would happen if faults occured in future, and what would happen if a new person wants to get connected.

The Sky Satellite uses the Astra and Eurobird Satellites in the 28.5 degrees East orbital position. Any dish has to point in the right direction. Even if we were to allow hundreds of dishes on the building which we are not by lease, and also by as i understand by law (more than one dish on a building requires planning permission if visible from the street according to what satellite magazine), then it would still mean that half the building, the half on the sweden gate side, could not have dishes as they would point the wrong way and if did point the right way can't see through the building. We already have some unlucky people on the first floor marina side with 4 or 5 dishes on their external wall and long cables trailing around the building are we to have hundreds more? I wouldn't like to be the poor corner flat owner with all the unwanted dishes trying to sell their flat with those eyesores on the outside.

I think the only answer if we are unhappy with the current communal aerial and dish people is to get replacement people in, but to just cancel this contract and leave it to anarchy is not an option. As someone who lives on the wrong side of the building i would much rather swallow my pride, and pay a little extra for sky than not have it at all.

IP Logged

First time, my TV in tAli

Reply #19 - 09/30/03 at 16:29:05
Print Post  
I have had them out twice to look at terrestrial problems.  Both times I wasn't happy.  First ime was for one TV connected to the main aerial.  No channel 5 which they said they could nothing about.  The next time was for another main connection.  Retuned the TV, but when I changed channels showed that there was still horrible interferreance, was told to use a portable aerial.  So for me, theyre not very good. 

With sky, I was told I would have to have an actual loose wire run along the hallway, up the staircase and across the lounge.  I asked if they could bring it in another way and they said no it has to come thru the one telephone point in my flat.

IP Logged

Ali

Reply #20 - 10/12/03 at 09:03:10
Print Post  
The TV I have hooked upto the main aerial suddenly has very very poor reception since Friday afternoon.  Anyone else got the same problem?

IP Logged

Rachael
YaBB Newbie

Reply #21 - 10/15/03 at 18:51:47
Print Post  
Regarding the aerial sockets in the master bedrooms, I called CV to ask them to come and fix mine so I can get reception in the bedroom (at least to get some value out of what I pay them for the prvilege of providing a Sky signal) and they said they had nothing to do with it and to call a TV engineer privately. 

I thought they were responsible for the whole lot??  Does anyone know??

..and does anyone know what compensation they are offering us for the 24-hour signal block out this week???

IP Logged

helen jones

Reply #22 - 12/16/03 at 14:04:04
Print Post  
Dear All

We have had Commcare come in to review the satellite and terrestrial TV system, as well as the question of putting the intercom back to the front entrance as well as the tower, and putting an internal telephone system in the lifts.

We are waiting their quote for the works.

We have written to Spectrum to invite them to come along and provide a quote for the TV system and are waiting to meet them.

We have also written to Community Vision to ask them to re-quote and again, to meet up to discuss.

The Community Vision contract expires in March 04, so we are very hopeful of having the 3 tenders on the table shortly after xmas to put to discussion and vote.

Thanks
Helen

IP Logged

Nic

Reply #23 - 01/15/04 at 11:05:54
Print Post  
Helen,

Has there been any word from any of these companies?
Have you also asked them to investigate a solution for getting Sky+ in a flat. This requires a 2nd feed to the satelite dish.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Wojciech

Reply #24 - 11/22/06 at 20:38:58
Print Post  
Hello everyone,

can someone please update me what's the sitution with Sky/Sky+ etc as of now?

Thanks a lot,
Wojciech

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint