Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) TV Question (Read 37208 times)
Ryan
YaBB Newbie

TV Question
02/20/02 at 12:57:25
Print Post  
???  Here's my next silly question...

We have ITV Digital (with a box that sits next to the telly).  Unfortunately the reception is too poor here to get anything from it.

I notice the 2 sockets in the wall marked "TV" and "Satellite" and don't yet have the right connections for them, so I haven't been able to try them out.

I wondered:

1)  What are they for?
2)  Does anyone else have ITV Digital - and if so, how can I get mine to work?

Maybe I just need to connect to the TV socket and the ITV Digital box will then have a good enough reception?

Maybe I'll have to get rid of ITV Digital and go for Sky?

All replies are welcome.  Thanks in advance,

Ryan.

Ryan

IP Logged

Robin Humphrys-Smith

Re: TV Question
Reply #1 - 02/20/02 at 14:20:22
Print Post  
To use Sky you have to subscribe to Community Vision, they will sort you out with a decoder etc, but you have to pay them a connection fee, and a yearly fee - on top of the Sky subscription fee  Cry - there is more information in the Useful Contacts section.

When we first moved in we tried to use ITV Digital through the buildings aerial - however the signal was too weak, which is why we changed to Sky.  I don't know if the building still suffers from weak reception - but I would assume so!

Cheers
Robin

IP Logged

Erik Carlson
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - 02/20/02 at 16:48:32
Print Post  
We have two sets of these sockets in our flat. One in the lounge and one in the master bedroom. When we moved in we paid community vision to do the business with sky which they did very quickly. Since then we did have one problem but they came out the following day and fixed at no extra charge.

Interestingly I have an old pace box left over from the ondigital launch a few years back (in the early days you had to buy your box for £200!), although i haven't kept the subscription up I did use this to receive itv2 and other free to air channels in the beginning with no problems through the lounge socket.

The bedroom socket however remains a mystery which community vision have yet to fix. I get better signal from an aerial on top of the telly! Although you can see crystal palace out the windows on my side of the building so reception should be good for anyone pointing their aerial in the right direction.

But to answer your question as an ex ondigital subscriber Sky digital is the business, plus the box doesn't crash every five seconds!

Cheers
Erik

IP Logged

P Poynter Smith
YaBB Newbie

Reply #3 - 02/27/02 at 22:20:51
Print Post  
I lived here for about 6 months with dreadful reception until I discovered that the roof aerial on BQ points in the opposite direction to that from my previous flat half a mile away (something to do with reflections from the buildings around BQ) and so picks up a different set of channels for BBC1 2 ITV etc. 

Try retuning the TV. I now have perfect reception from the wall socket (apart from ch 5).  Might not work but very easy to do Smiley

Paul.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 09/09/02 at 10:20:32
Print Post  
We had terrible reception for a long time in our flat and we were told that it was due to the building's reception. However, eventually it got so bad that we called R&R and they sent out a TV chap. Apparently a lot of the TV wires in the building are wired up wrong and because they are not labelled they can't work out which is which. It turns out that we have not been linked up to the main aerial for ages and our aerial has been our TV!! They put in a new cable within a week and we have a perfect picture. I have not tried our bedroom socket but I expect that to be the same.

On another note, I have spoken with Matthew Kirk at R&R about the Sky situation. The charges for linking up to Community Vision are ridiculous but that seems to be because we are paying individually, rather than as a whole building. We are not allowed dishes and with ITVdigital not around any more the only way to get digital TV seems to be via Community Vision (seems like a good opportunity for them to put the prices up even higher!!). However, there is a way around it. We could have an agreement with Community Vision that they service the whole building rather than individual flats. That way we could negotiate a flat rate fee for the whole building and the cost could be added to our service charge. As far as I can see, if people wanted digital, all they would need to pay is the Sky monthly charge. Obviously enough people in the building would have to agree to this but if there is interest in clubbing together rather than paying individually, I would be happy to look into the costs, etc.

IP Logged

Ryan
YaBB Newbie

Reply #5 - 09/09/02 at 10:26:33
Print Post  
You can count me in.

Ryan

IP Logged

Alison
YaBB Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - 09/12/02 at 18:42:52
Print Post  
me too

IP Logged

Jon

Reply #7 - 10/08/02 at 15:47:51
Print Post  
And me Grin

IP Logged

EdwardR
YaBB Newbie

Reply #8 - 11/10/02 at 22:33:43
Print Post  
Count me in too.

In fact, does anyone know if it is at all possible to terminate all contracts with Community Vision and install a Baltic Quay-wide central dish from Sky?

I'm sure that they would only be too willing to help with that, and given that their monthly charges are low for their product anyway, they might even be cheaper than Community Vision if they can a central dish for us.

Ed

IP Logged

Helen Jones

Reply #9 - 02/14/03 at 15:29:17
Print Post  
Smiley
R &R are currently reviewing the Community Vision contract and looking into alternative options, including obtaining quotes from other companies to run the system.

We think the dish belongs to Community Vision, but are  checking this out (as with all info for this building, this is taking some time!).

We will be provided with info on other options asap and I will let everyone know.

What is clear is that satellite dishes are not to be put up individually as this contravenes the lease.  They are also damaging the building as they have been fixed to the fabric of the building by various satellite co's/indiv's.  As soon as the options for the satellite is provided and decided upon, indiv's will be asked to remove their dishes (as they have been already).  They will subsequently be removed if people do not do so as it is a breach of the lease, and they will have to be in any case to re-paint the building.

I will let everyone know the options asap.
Helen

IP Logged

helen jones

Reply #10 - 03/20/03 at 13:20:47
Print Post  
Just by way of an update, we are currently waiting for Spectrum to get back to us with a quote for installing Sky etc.  I will keep you posted.

Thanks

Helen

IP Logged

Jon
YaBB Newbie

Free to air digital stations - reception
Reply #11 - 04/24/03 at 17:02:58
Print Post  
Hi All,

With regard to the free-to-air digital channels such as BBC3 and so forth, Community Vision have said that additional work has to be done on their system to allow BQ residents to receive these channels through the set top boxes that are available on the high street. Roll Eyes

They wouldn't give a price and stressed that any application for such work would have to come through the management agents i.e Rendall & Rittner.

Cheers
Jon

IP Logged

Caroline
YaBB Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - 09/12/03 at 13:57:18
Print Post  
Has there been any update from Spectrum about installing Sky at BQ?

Caroline

IP Logged

Ali

Reply #13 - 09/14/03 at 18:01:48
Print Post  
Same here, I asked R&R and they knew nuffin about it.  The football season is underway so a solution needs to be found soonish pls Grin

Also, watching sky tv drowns out the noise of the pigeons cacking on my balconies 24/7

ta

IP Logged

Jon
YaBB Newbie

Reply #14 - 09/26/03 at 16:23:25
Print Post  
Quote:
Also, watching sky tv drowns out the noise of the pigeons cacking on my balconies 24/7

ta

Well thats made me laugh any way Ali - cheers for that.

Helen - any news about TV side of things? I know you've got a lot on at the moment but would be interested in any news.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint