Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic TV Aerial/ Satellite Socket Types (Read 399 times)
upamfva
YaBB God

I Love YaBB 2.6.11!

TV Aerial/ Satellite Socket Types
02/25/22 at 03:29:07
Print Post  
TV Aerial/ Satellite Socket Types

If you want to know more about TV aerial & satellite sockets & wall plates. This is the blog for you. I will discuss all the different antenna wall plate types so you can pick the right one for your installation. There are lots of different types for TV/ Radio & satellite which each serve their own purpose so without further ado, let’s begin.Get more news about Satellite Tv Socket,you can vist our website!

The most common TV aerial socket type that most people will be familiar with is the Coax IEC socket. This type of outlet is most common for TV aerial connections, but is also commonly used for FM radio. To connect to this wall plate you will need a flying lead or cable with a coaxial IEC plug on the end of it, what type of coaxial cable plug you need depends on whether the wall plate has a male or female connection on it.
Although this is most commonly used for TV and FM radio. It can also be used for DAB radio & satellite providing that the wall plate is DC passing. I will come onto this later on.
Female IEC Coax Socket
Overwhelmingly the most common type of coaxial wall plate will be a female type. To connect into this you will need a cable with a male coax plug attached to the end. Again, this is the coax plug that most people are familiar with.

Male IEC Coax Socket
The opposite of the female socket is the male socket for obvious reasons. If you have a male socket you will need either a cable with a female plug fitted to it or a male plug with a coaxial coupler fitted into it. This will provide you with a female connection. It is also common to purchase RF leads that have a female connection on one end and a male in another. These are usually fitted for looping in and out of equipment which is common where you have a Freeview recorder, like a BT Vision box and a loop back up to your digital TV.
I personally don’t tend to fit male wall plates unless I am installing some sort of video playback system like a Sky playback system with the magic eyes. This is so that when someone is connecting up the system it can clearly be seen which termination is which.
Screened Sockets
If you have the choice between buying screened and unscreened sockets always choose the former. A screened socket means that the cable termination is with a metal housing. The metal housing that the coax cable termination is inside helps stop RF leakage and signal loss, as well as protecting against impulse noise and EMI/ RF interference which can cause the TV picture to pixelate. As the connection itself is surrounded by a metal housing it also tends to make for a far more secure connection which is less likely to wobble, fallout and break.
When installing screened sockets you tend to need a deeper back-box than you would otherwise need with a unscreened model. Most screened outlets will need at least a 25mm back-box, ideally slightly more to fit the cable and termination comfortably inside. If this means having to chase in or fit a deeper surface back-box I strongly recommend doing so.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint