Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Atrium proposals and service charge arrears (Read 11986 times)
Anon Resident

Atrium proposals and service charge arrears
03/01/02 at 00:11:10
Print Post  
I am posting this anonymously in order to maintain my privacy. The Baltic Quay website is an open access website and I do not want the whole world to know where I live. If I can attend the next resident's meeting I will be happy to own up, if anyone is interested enough to enquire.

We attended the general meeting held on Wednesday 27th Feb 2002 after receiving notice that the purpose of this meeting was to vote for our preferred option from three proposals contained in the surveyer's report and presented to us by the appointed surveyer at the previous general meeting, regarding extensive building reparation work. Now we are left wondering whether we were the only residents in attendance who came to last night's meeting with the intention of balloting.

We actually liked the idea of a glass atrium that would have provided protection to ourselves and our third floor apartment from the ravages of strong winds and other adverse weather conditions. We were enthusiastic towards the prospect of having our windswept open area and its shabby tiles, gravel and blocked drains replaced with a comfortable, heated, carpeted glass corridor. Our preference was for Atrium Option 2 - with a glass roof across the third floor with 3rd, 4th and 5th floors encased within glass corridors (less expensive and less enclosed than Option 1). We believe the atrium was a viable solution to many of the problems within the building and that it would have enhanced the building, by increasing the value placed on individual properties within the entire building and significantly improving the quality of life for those residing in the upper floors of the podium. We really could have had the building to be proud of, which is what most of us want. We acknowledge that the atrium suggestion/s were an unexpected solution to the major problems concerning water leakage and the general delapidation that Baltic Quay is experiencing and that, due to the urgency of resolving the problem of water ingress to the ground floor apartments, there was no consultation period and neither was there enough time given to properly consider the options. We accept that major expense would have been incurred from the outset had either of the atrium options been given the go-ahead and, with the level of owed service charge outstanding (which I'll return to later), the raising of upfront finance would have been a real problem. However, as was mentioned at some point during yesterday's meeting, the prices paid more recently by leaseholders for the purchase of their properties were below market value prices in reflection that major expenditure on building restoration work was imminent. We purchased in June 2000 and, although we were not informed of any forthcoming expenditure, the poor state of the building was very apparant and it was obvious to us that we would eventually have to fund extensive reparation work. We made our decision to purchase on that basis. Anyone who reecently bought into this building in the belief they were getting a "bargain" was sadly naive or misguided. We also go along with the fact that the figure quoted by the committe - an average of £6,000 per flat (marginally higher than the figures quoted in the Sturges report) - is indeed a lot of money for most leaseholders to have to find at short notice. But the expenditure would have to be met eventually whichever proposal was accepted. The projected overall costing analysis contained in the report of the appointed surveyer indicated that the 3rd floor atrium option would be considerably less expensive than the basic repair option. All the options contained a contingency budget of £60,000 or more in order to accommodate unforeseen problems that resulted in further expenditure. However, the figures quoted by the committee appeared to be a reversal in that the atrium was shown as being the more expensive option. Contrary to the general opinion expressed during the meeting, the Sturges report indicated that the glass atrium would in fact resolve the problem of water ingess experienced by residents on the ground floor and below into the car park. At the meeting, much was made of future additional expenditure that would be incurred through maintaining the atrium (heating, ventilating, dehumidifying) but these would surely be offset through savings made on ongoing exterior maintenance of that area and increased repair work, and the heating bills for individual apartments in the podium would be lower as a consequence of having better insulation.

Judging from the extemely negative response of some leaseholders towards the two atrium proposals, we attended the meeting in order to vote for our preferred option with the knowledge that our choice was unlikely to win majority approval. We nonetheless wanted an opportunity to express support for the atrium proposal by voting in favour and were appalled that our preferred option was dismissed as a "non-starter" and that voting did not even take place because the decision to bin the idea had already been made. Whatever happened to the democratic process???

IP Logged

Helen Jones

Re: Atrium proposals and service charge arrears
Reply #1 - 03/01/02 at 10:14:09
Print Post  
Dear Sir,

I am the Chairwoman of the Committee.  I am sorry if you felt that your vote was not taken into account at the meeting.  I am also sorry that you have not made yourself known.

As you rightly say, £6,000 is alot of money for people to come up with sooner rather than later and that was one of the main reasons why the Glass Atrium option was a non-starter.  The water ingress has to be resolved as a matter of urgency and we do not have the option of waiting for everyone to be able to stump up £6,000, nor do we have time to wait for engineers to come up witrh designs etc.  It is better to put a realistic sinking fund bill forward that people can, and must, pay.

In addition, the costs in the survey for the Glass roof are considered to be under-estimated with the result that the final cost may be considerably more.

The Glass roof option could also lead to increased costs every year with costs of ventilation and, as you point out, heating costs to prevcent condensation.  It may be very nice for those in the podium to have their personal heating bills reduced, but this would be at the expense of everyone in the building.

Finally, and importantly, the glass roof option may be considered as an improvement to the building which requires 100% agreement of leaseholders.  There was clearly not 100% agreement from leaseholders and the option was not therefore a viable option.

I am sorry if you feel that there was no democratic procedure, but it was clear that many of the leaseholders did not consider the Glass atrium to be a good idea.  Further, to say that people bought their flats at an undervalue and expected to pay for these works is not true;  people expected to pay into a sinking fund but did not expect, and cannot be expected to pay, £6,000 plus next month for works to enhance the building.

Helen

IP Logged

Anon Resident

Reply #2 - 03/02/02 at 08:42:30
Print Post  
This is the second part of my earlier posting - curtailed due to lack of space. But first, I'd like to address Helen's reply by stating that my comments were in no way a personal criticism of anyone on the committee.
I did clearly state that we attended the meeting with the knowledge that our preferred option (Atrium Option 2) was unlikely to win majority approval but we did expect to get the chance to ballot. The notices placed around the building to inform residents of the meeting of 27 Feb. clearly determined that the general meeting was for residents to vote for/against the proposals put forward at the previous meeting. I also acknowledged that raising the finance would be a problem and I accept that an impossibility might have been a more appropriate word to use at this stage. But I still feel strongly that the Atrium proposal would have been of benefit to the building and that it was not given due consideration as a viable for the future. We are all going to have to pay for whatever work is necessary to restore the building to a habitable state and we are all entitled to our point of view. I stand by my previous posting.
Another issue I wanted to raise was the amount of arrears outstanding in unpaid service charges. I find it almost beyond belief that Rendall and Rittner have not been able to collect any of the money outstanding (which I understand backdates over two years in some cases) due to Boyd Johnson's obstruction. If, after all this time, Boyd Johnson have still not co-operated and continue to withhold accounts from the new management agent, is it not feasable that R&R can obtain a court order to force their disclosure without further delay?
We always paid our s/ch bills on time. We felt an obligation to do so to ensure that the building had electricity, staff wages were paid and that there was some semblence of ticking over. We sympathised with those leaseholders who chose to withhold all s/ch payments to Boyd Johnson due to misgivings concerning BJ's appropriation of thier money. We also suspected that there were others who had jumped on the bandwagon and used this situation to their advantage in order to avoid paying s/ch. It now appears that we were right. There is absolutely no excuse any more and we are probably not alone in wanting to know the identities of those who continue to willfully refuse to contribute their share towards the upkeep of this building (as the rest of us are subsidising them). Any s/ch withheld should have been put aside for provision to be paid promptly once the building was in the hands of capable management.
I seem to remember hearing it stated during 13 Feb meeting that some of the worst cases of long term arrears are those of absentee landlords. If that proves to be the case, I'd like to see R&R instigate immediate forfeiture procedings. There was also concern that former s/ch defaulters had now sold up and were untraceable. I was under the impression that all charges pertaining to a lease were the responsinility of the present leaseholder. This would include any s/ch outstanding at the time the lease changed hands. I'm sure there will be a queue of lawyers ready to correct me if I am wrong but I do believe that to be the position - not good news for some, I know. We took the precaution of obtaining from Pathfinder a written statement that there was no s/ch outstanding on the account of our property before we purchased.
Finally, some time ago the issue was raised concerning the sale of the building freehold. We were all supposed to be getting a Section 5 notice to that effect from Pathfinder. We've had nothing and heard nothing. Are they still intending to sell the FH or are they now waiting until completion of restoration work that we're paying for and then offering LHs first refusal for same FH at vastly inflated price? Once the work is complete, Pathfinder's FH asset might become a more desirable commodity to a predatory new landlord and that is an issue of concern that has not yet been raised to our knowledge.

IP Logged

ninest
YaBB God

I Love YaBB 2.6.11!

Reply #4 - 04/12/18 at 06:17:16
Print Post  

IP Logged

mrseo12
YaBB God

I Love YaBB 2.6.11!

sheeraz saleem
Reply #13 - 11/21/21 at 14:03:24
Print Post  
I was taking a gander at some of your posts on this site and I consider this site is truly informational! Keep setting up..  Angie's list review

IP Logged

mrseo12
YaBB God

I Love YaBB 2.6.11!

Reply #14 - 11/21/21 at 14:04:40
Print Post  
I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. Unlike other blogs I have read which are really not that good.Thanks alot!  Angie's list review

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint